to Prepare for a Guest Speaker
Help your class prepare for a SPECIAL GUEST:
Provide enough time (but not TOO much) for your speaker.
• Give a purpose for bringing the speaker into your classroom (the
WHY of the Visit).
• "SELL IT!" -- excite your kids about the speaker and
• Give some background information about the speaker.
• Prepare questions for the speaker (and help kids understand what
questions NOT to ask).
• Give some information about the topic-but not TOO much! (Don't
"steal the speaker's thunder.')
• Don't schedule a test on the day of your speaker.
• Review behavior rules and "politeness."
• Help your students understand it is a privilege for them to have
this quest visit
• Have a SPECIAL BULLETIN BOARD devoted to your quest speakers.
• Have a STUDENT WELCOMING COMMITTEE greet your quest!! WOW!!
QUESTIONS for YOU to THINK about:
• Should you quiz/test students on material presented by a speaker?
• What are some ways to follow-up after the speaker has departed.
VERY, VERY IMPORTANT - REMEMBER TO PREPARE THE SPEAKER FOR YOUR
• If you invite Parents or other people to speak to your class,
help them to understand
some basic ideas about teaching.
• Tell them your classroom rules.
• Give them a seating chart.
• Explain to them about attention span.
• Request that they bring hands-on items which kids can handle (SAFELY!).
• Talk to them about time restrictions.
• They can be GREAT for your class WITH YOUR HELP.
If you are hiring a professional speaker, CHECK REFERENCES!!
printable pdf version of this page is available here.